Do I need an RPZ valve?

Do I need an RPZ valve?

do i need an rpz valve

The City of Cape Town has passed a regulation that all homes be fitted with an RPZ valve (Reduced Pressure Zone – also known as a backflow preventer). This is required where an alternative water supply is delivered to your house or garden with a connection to a municipal water supply, and includes rainwater and groundwater systems.

An RPZ valve will prevent backflow from your rainwater or groundwater system from feeding into the City water supply. This could occur in the event that mains water pressure drops below that supplied by your alternative pumped supply.

These valves are installed above ground and positioned immediately after your municipal stopcock. An isolation valve must be fitted either side of the RPZ valve with a suitable strainer installed at the inlet.

Older systems may have been installed with a safety feature in place to prevent contamination of municipal water. However, the City of Cape Town will only accept installations where an SABS approved RPZ backflow preventor is fitted. Non-return valves are not an approved method of prevention.

City inspectors are visiting homes where an alternative water supply is feeding into the home. They are also going door to door in areas where there have been complaints of poor water quality.

Please contact us at or call us on 0834555385 to fit the required SABS approved valve for you. Where you have one installed it will require annual servicing, and we can provide you with a reminder to have your RPZ serviced. This will ensure that you stay in compliance with your city requirements.

Cape Town water and sanitation tariffs for 2015-2016

Cape Town water and sanitation tariffs for 2015-2016

Each year the City of Cape Town updates their annual water and sanitation charges at the start of July. Due to current water scarcity, the City of Cape Town has imposed a 20% water restriction. Below is a breakdown of these charges for single residential homes.

The domestic single residential sanitation tariff remains linked to the water tariff at a rate of 70% of water consumption (70% of 50kl = 35kl). This means that water used for garden irrigation is charged based on 70% of water consumption, even though this water never reaches the waste-water treatment works.

Read more